Relationship Therapist Toronto: Relationship therapy is the process by which couples utilize the services of a qualified therapist in an effort to reconcile differences, recognize and work to alleviate areas of conflict and prevent the occurrence of behaviours that create stress or hard feelings. There are a number of different situations that may prompt couples to seek a qualified relationship therapist in Toronto, including:
- A desire on the part of one or both partners to cultivate better interpersonal skills.
- The perception by either partner that there are things that need to be addressed.
- A sense of emotional or sexual disconnection emanating from either partner.
- A sense on the part of either partner that their relationship is no longer working.
- A revelation of infidelity on the part of either partner.
- Other issues that may be putting undue stress on the relationship.
Working With a Relationship Therapist in Toronto
Agreeing to see a relationship therapist in Toronto or anywhere else is a step in the right direction. But it’s really just the first step and, by itself, not a guarantee of success. Many individuals will encounter additional potential barriers they must transcend if they’re to achieve the desired result.
- Fear of opening up: Any type of counselling can be an intimidating prospect, especially for someone who has no previous experience. Many have a hard time knowing where to begin or are reluctant to air their ‘dirty laundry’ or say something that they believe may make things worse. In such cases the environment created by the therapist is crucial, as is her ability to gain the trust of both parties so that they can see the value of an open, honest dialogue.
- Not knowing how to respond: Getting people to agree to therapy and then getting them to trust the process and open up are huge steps. However, many individuals have little idea how to handle uncomfortable revelations. The natural temptation may be to shut down or get angry. The skill of the therapist will be called upon once again in such situations to bring both parties back to a productive neutral ground where acceptance and reconciliation can occur.
- Fear of retribution: Even if both partners managed to navigate a tricky session it may not be possible to wipe the slate clean of hurt feelings by the end of that session, however those feelings can now be dealt with in later sessions. Patience, understanding and persistence are the qualities the therapist will seek to cultivate with both parties.
If you believe yourself and your partner could benefit from the services of a relationship therapist in Toronto call 647 295 5935 and make an appointment to see Esther Benbihy. Esther has a Masters Degree in Counselling Psychology, is registered with The College of Psychologists of Ontario, and has helped scores of Toronto couples find a path through their difficulties and emerge stronger and more committed to one another as a result.