Many men and women find couples therapy in Toronto to be enormously helpful as far as fixing short-term and long-term problems with relationships, but if you are not sure whether you need to consult a couples therapist yet, there are a number of things you can try for yourself. Some of them may be more effective than others, depending on the precise nature of the problems you are experiencing, but they are all worth trying if you value your relationship and would like to get it back on track.
Advice from an Expert on Couples Therapy in Toronto
We have put together a few suggestions that any couples that are having problems may wish to try at home. If none of these suggestions help, we recommend making an appointment with a qualified couples counsellor at the earliest possible opportunity.
- Take the Initiative – One of the biggest stumbling blocks for couples who have been arguing for a long time is finding a way to stop the war of words and to start talking. It may not work for everybody but what you can try to do is to make a decision to stop arguing, leaving your partner with the choice of continuing a one-sided disagreement or sitting down and having a conversation.
- Analyse Your Behaviour – If you are able to spot the warning signs that indicate an argument is imminent, you can retreat from the situation and avoid conflict whenever necessary. While this is not a long-term fix, it can make it easier to reconcile in the future, perhaps with the help of couples therapy in Toronto if you can make the time to attend regular sessions.
- Express Your Feelings – Couples can often find common ground when they are open about the way that they feel, especially with regard to how they feel about each other in a positive way. However, if this is the very issue that is causing arguments, a course of couples therapy in Toronto, led by an experienced therapist, is probably a better option to pursue in the first instance.
- Use a Self-Help Book – There are plenty of good books available that delve into the nature of relationship problems: working your way through one of the better publications could be beneficial to both you and your partner.
- Tackle a New Enjoyable Project Together – This can be a make or break option so think carefully before trying it but some couples find they are able to work through their differences by working together on a new challenge.
- Invite Your Partner to Choose a Therapist – If your husband or wife is reluctant to start couples therapy in Toronto because they think you are trying to force them into following a path on which they are not keen, ask them to choose a therapist for you to visit. This will help them to feel in control and alleviate any trust issues.
If you would like to speak to an experienced couples therapist about your relationship, please feel free to call and make an appointment whenever convenient.