There are certain signs that therapists can spot when counselling couples: indicators that the relationship they are trying to save is fundamentally healthy. Whether these signs are present when the couple in question first begins therapy or whether they start to appear as things progress is not important. What is important is that every single sign is a positive indication that the relationship is likely to endure and should encourage the couple in question to stay the course.
The Signs Your Couple Therapist in Toronto Will Be Waiting to See
We are sharing these classic indicators of a healthy relationship so that you can see and rejoice in them when they emerge in your relationship!
- You Share Your Emotions – If you start to talk to your partner about the way you are feeling at certain times, the emotions you experience in your life, this is a very good sign that your relationship is on the mend. Keeping your feelings to yourself is one of the first signs of a failing relationship so when this behaviour is reversed it is a very positive sign indeed!
- You Can Admit Your Faults – Couples who are both willing to take responsibility for the problems in their relationship are far more likely to find a way to make things work and to stay together in the long term. A couple therapist in Toronto who is faced with two people that have no intention of taking responsibility for any of the problems in their relationship may come to the conclusion that no matter what methods are employed, failure is a very real possibility.
- You Still Argue– Couples that still argue and are engaged with each other still care enough about their relationship to discuss the problems they are facing. It may not sound like a great sign but it is far healthier than couples who have simply stopped caring and communicating.
- You Engage in Affectionate Touching – Couples who frequently touch each other in a non-sexual manner are usually happier in their relationship than those who do not.
- You Admire Your Partner – If you admire your partner’s strength of character or personality, and they reciprocate your feelings, you have an excellent chance of making your relationship work.
If you do not notice any of the above signs, please do not despair. Feel free to give us a call and arrange to have a face-to-face session with our experienced couple therapist in Toronto. After your first couple sessions, you should be in a much better position to judge whether your relationship can be salvaged.